While we can’t guarantee a teaching position immediately after you graduate, we can provide some reassurance and advice.
First of all, do all YOU can do to set yourself apart from other aspiring teachers.
- Work hard in your courses and get the best grades possible.
- Get involved in student organizations and the community.
- Make a good impression while in the schools for your field experiences.
- Network every chance you get.
- Present your Purdue degree proudly to potential employers.
- Utilize all the resources available to you at Purdue (i.e. Center for Career Opportunities), online and through any contacts you have.
- Be persistent.
According to the United States Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of teachers is expected to grow by 13 percent by 2018*. Job opportunities are out there. The best prospects are in high-need areas such as urban and rural school districts and in high-demand fields such as math, science, and special education.